Locals review "Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution"
"Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution" focuses on Oliver's efforts in Huntington in 2009 to promote healthier eating habits by encouraging food preparation from fresh ingredients. Those efforts were focused on local schools, families and a kitchen to teach people how to cook. Each week, we will have local residents weigh in on the episodes.

Monday, March 22, 2010

Reactions from Tyson Compton on the first episode

Tyson Compton, a native of Louisa, Ky., has served as president of the Cabell-Huntington Convention and Visitors Bureau since February 2009. Compton came to Huntington from the Paramount Arts Center in Ashland, where he was marketing director for 14 years. Prior to that, he was marketing director for a magazine publishing group in Los Angeles. Compton serves on the boards of Leadership Tri-State, the Southeast Tourism Society, Boyd County Foundation for Children, Youth Leadership and Clear Channel Radio Local Advisory Board. He is also a member of Huntington Rotary and is actively involved with Create Huntington. He is a graduate of Community Leadership Development, a member of ACTC/OU Diversity Committee and a member of the Country Music Highway Action Team.

QUESTION: What do you expect to see in this series?

TYSON COMPTON: “When I first heard about this project, I was pretty skeptical of it overall. I didn't relish dredging up that whole unhealthiest city business yet again. But through the process, I came to be supportive of it. If nothing else, Huntington was going to be in the national forefront when the show aired. Why not make the most and the best of it? However, I lived and worked in LA for 10 years and I know the entertainment industry. I also know that ‘reality’ tv does not necessarily reflect real life. So I knew there would be some tough moments in the show, most of which I expected to be seen up front. After all, it will be necessary to show the worst of the situation and our people in order for Jamie to realize his goal and share with our community a better way to eat, cook, and shop for food. I do believe we'll see some heartwarming moments. And I do believe that this show can illustrate to other communities across the country what can be done when you get the community behind you and you get behind the community. I try to eat healthy and I work out 3 days a week but I realize that I can still do better and I'm looking forward to being inspired by the underlying theme of this show.”

QUESTION: How do you think Huntington/ the school system was portrayed?

TYSON COMPTON: “Overall, Huntington and the school system were portrayed as entities that needed help. This was difficult to watch. I know many of these people and I know how hard they work and how much they care about the community. Our issues are no different than issues faced by schools and communities across the country. I do feel that the school was especially set up a bit to look negative.”

QUESTION: Was your initial response to the episode positive or negative? Why?

TYSON COMPTON: “I will have to say that my initial repsonse was mixed, partially negative and partially positive. Any attack, no matter how well intentioned on my community is difficult to accept. But overall, I'm moving toward positive. I think the impact of this show can be very, very positive for our community and we can be the leader of change in communities across the country. I especially salute those who went into this programming not knowing how it would culminate.”

QUESTION: Does Oliver make it clear why he came here?

TYSON COMPTON: “ I think Jamie does make it clear why he is here. I have to admit that his tearful scene on camera was a bit too Hollywood for me. I can't say if it was real or not - only he knows that. But otherwise he does a good job of explaining why he is here and why this type of education is important for him.”